Sunday, July 29, 2012

Headaches and prenatals....

Tonight was the third night of 4 vials of Bravelle, and I've had headaches the past two evenings. I remember the first month I was on injectables, I had headaches in the evening. It's a small price to pay...

Some of you may remember back in December/January I started pooping out my prenatal. I had to switch prenatals (I have a prescription one since my insurance covers it), but continued to poop out the old ones. Well, 7 months and a colonoscopy later, I'm STILL pooping the old ones out. The only conclusion I can come to is that they are lodged in my small intestine. The gastroenterologist doesn't seem concerned, so I guess I shouldn't be either.

Regardless, I began to read about prenatal vitamins today. I wondered how much of the different vitamins/minerals they should contain. From what I've read, a prenatal should have a minimum of 400mcgf of folic acid. Mine has 100mcg. Why would a company manufacture a prenatal vitamin that doesn't meet the recommended standard? AND, the brand I am on has the March of Dimes stamp of approval on the box!

From the March of Dimes website:

"Since nearly half of all pregnancies in the United States are unplanned, it's important that all women of childbearing age (even if they're not trying to get pregnant) get at least 400 micrograms of folic acid every day. Take a multivitamin with folic acid before pregnancy. During pregnancy, switch to a prenatal vitamin, which should have 600 micrograms of folic acid."

Not to mention, my prenatal was sub-standard in most areas (iron, zinc, calcium, etc.). So, I've spent the better part of today researching prenatal vitamins and DHA. I was considering trying a powdered prenatal but it cost more than I wanted to spend. So I found a prenatal that meets the recommended requirements of a prenatal. I also ordered some Fish Oil with DHA and EPA. I feel better having educated myself more about prenatal vitamins. Who knew there was so much to know? Shame on me I guess for assuming that something a doctor prescribed would have what I need in it.

Anyhow, tomorrow morning I go for bloodwork. I should find out tomorrow afternoon when my first ultrasound will be. I just am hoping and praying that my right ovary is growing some beautiful follicles! One of my students gave me a gift certificate for the spa....and I cannot wait to get my massage tomorrow morning! It has been forever since I've had one.


No comments:

Post a Comment