Monday, September 24, 2012

The Three D's...

I'm currently re-reading Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy. While the information contained in the book certainly isn't new or earth-shattering, it is a well written look at how to stop procrastinating and getting your priorities in order.

I'm reading each chapter (the book is only 128 pages - a very quick read) and really putting some thought into how the principles apply to my life. I'm finding my daily to-do list getting longer and longer and I'm procrastinating more and more. To the point of avoiding what are probably the most important tasks in my life...

In the Introduction, we are introduced to The Three D's of New Habit Formation. It states, "You need three key qualities to develop the habits of focus and concentration, which are all learnable. They are decision, discipline, and determination. First, make a decision to develop the habit of task completion. Second, discipline yourself to practice the principles you are about to learn over and over until they become automatic. And third, back everything you do with determination until the habit is locked in and becomes a permanent part of your personality."

These "Three D's" really strike a chord with me right now in my life. As you all know, I'm struggling greatly with resuming my weight-loss journey. (I'm trying to look at the fact that we are unable to do an IVF cycle right now as an opportunity to continue my weight loss journey. Some days I believe that having no money right now is a good thing because it allows me time to continue to lose weight and get healthier. Other days, not so much.) So often on my journey, people ask me what motivates me. I've blogged before about Motivation, and while getting pregnant should be my motivator, I still stand behind the idea that determination is what keeps me moving forward (with the occasional backslide - hey, I'm only human).

I came home from work today and wanted so badly to lay on the couch and nap. Then I remembered reading about "The Three D's", and I decided I would go to the gym instead. I decided I would keep going until it becomes automatic again. I. Am. Determined. I recognize I will struggle some days. I recognize I am not perfect. I recognize each day I will have to make decisions and follow through with determination. (Even when I would rather lay on the couch.)

Finally, I recognize that I have come so far, and I simply cannot allow myself to go back to where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment