Sunday, September 23, 2012

Setting goals...

This has been One. Hard. Month. I really thought (shame on me) that the return of daily routine would automatically bring with it the return of a fitness/food routine. Boy, was I wrong. I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I need to work hard to regain my momentum. How the heck did I lose the weight I did? I feel like I have no idea where to begin again. Not to mention that it makes me so sad to think about "starting again" when I really should have never "stopped".

I feel like I have no time to exercise or plan like I used to. I'm tired and am feeling a lot of stress with work. I feel like I'm spread too thin. But, no way can I allow myself to continue backsliding like I am. I'm tired of watching the scale go up. I'm tired of feeling out of control.

The following quote really struck a chord with me - "If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else." ~ Lawrence J. Peter

Given that I know where I want to go, I best set some goals to help me get there so I don't end up somewhere else that I don't want to be. Therefore, this week's goals are:

1. I will schedule in gym time for the week. This week is extremely busy, but I can't keep making excuses. I need to get back to prioritizing, and that means making time for ME. There was a time, not that long ago, where I would not let anything get in the way of my gym time. My goal this week is three trips to the gym. I will also contemplate setting a new fitness goal (perhaps another 5K). I also plan on revisiting a book I bought after reading about it on another blog (but I never actually read it), The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

2. I will plan what I will make and eat the next few days. (I will focus on portion control and the healthy guidelines that WW maps out.)

3. I will visit some of my favorite WW-friendly food sites to plan out some upcoming meals.

4. I will get back to tracking my food this week.

5. I will one again ban soda, and I will limit my wine consumption (honestly tracking the points for each glass I have).

6. I will reread my WW Week 1 book to refocus my mind to the task at hand and give me a new member mentality in an effort to motivate me to get back on track.

7. I will create some sort of accountability system for myself. On pinterest, I saw an idea where someone put $1 in a jar every time they worked out and set a goal that they would do something fun when it reached a certain amount. I'm thinking of doing that, and adding in $5 for every pound I lose. I'm thinking that would help motivate me as all that money could hopefully go towards a future IVF cycle.

8. I will spend some time on weightwatchers.com reading success stories and looking for some motivation.

9. I will remind myself daily that I did this before, and I can do it again.

10. I will re-enlist the help/support of friends to keep me on track.

I know for me it is a constant mind game. I need to be stronger in my mind and keep my ultimate goal in the forefront of my mind. I've also seen people write goals on post it notes and hang them in places visible to them daily. I'm thinking about writing down my weight on a post it note each week and hanging it on the fridge. I'm also thinking of finding and writing out a motivational quote each week to focus on.

The bottom line is, I CAN do this. I WILL do this. I've not given up, and that is the greatest gift I've ever given to myself.

 

2 comments:

  1. Good job on recommitting, Jen! I understand the mind game, as I struggle with it too to stay on track with my dieting and running plan. It's so hard to keep motivation, but you are right....it's about YOU and you have to put yourself first. All of these goals sound so positive and like they are setting you up to succeed!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on recommitting, Jen! I understand the mind game, as I struggle with it too to stay on track with my dieting and running plan. It's so hard to keep motivation, but you are right....it's about YOU and you have to put yourself first. All of these goals sound so positive and like they are setting you up to succeed!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete