Wednesday, October 5, 2011

So close, yet so far...

When I started down this journey of injectable medications in January 2011, I was told that my insurance would only cover three rounds of medication per pregnancy. (Of course, in my head - it was only going to take one cycle so that didn't matter at the time!) I exhausted my insurance covered meds in June. I've been cycling since then using meds donated to me by a wonderful friend I've met in support group. So, I began to think about the possibility of getting more medication covered over the past few days. And I convinced myself that surely this would be my silver lining right now.

I called the doctor's office today to verify that my insurance coverage for medication would start over. I was told that I wouldn't qualify because my hcg levels weren't high enough to be considered a pregnancy by the insurance company. Out of curiosity, I asked what that level was.

25.

Less than 5 is considered NOT pregnant, and 25 and above is considered pregnant. So what exactly are you considered if you fall in between that range?

So what does this mean for me? I was 1.1 point away from being pregnant in the eyes of the insurance company. My doctor considers me as having conceived, but my insurance company does not. Perhaps if my blood had been drawn a few hours earlier, I would have made the cutoff.

The nurse at the office is going to put through the paperwork for the pre-authorization for another cycle anyway, leaving off my hcg number. Perhaps someone will overlook that and it will go through. Hopefully the insurance company employee reviewing my paperwork will not catch the omission.

In the meantime, while waiting to hear back regarding my insurance, I wait for my consult appointment Monday. I'm hoping I leave there armed with answers to all my questions so that Kenny and I can make a decision regarding our future treatment path that is best for us.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. Insurance companies are the worst! I'm so happy the nurse is re-submitting. Sometimes, that's all it takes :) I'm anxious to hear about your appt. We're on our way to the airport now. The Marathon is on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll at least be able to move my fingers on Monday and be able to check in . Either way, I'll be thinking of you guys ;)

    ReplyDelete