Wednesday, November 2, 2011

On the road again...

I met with an IVF doctor at my Clinic on Monday. I left the consult feeling informed and excited at the possibility of starting an IVF cycle. The doctor feels given our history and diagnosis of tubal factor infertility that we have a great chance at success with IVF! I was even more excited to know that we could start right away and finish this calendar year (prior to them closing the IVF lab the last two weeks of December, and prior to the busy weeks in January before our Drama Club production).

I heard from a nurse today, and I need to call back tomorrow. I wanted to talk with my husband about this one more time, and we decided to go forward. It is a huge commitment (emotionally, physically, and financially). I need to go into this with a realistic, positive attitude, and much needed support from friends and family.

Several friends and people who know what we are going through have asked what the difference is between what we've been doing (IUI) and IVF. While there are several similarities, there are some big differences too. I will share more about that in future posts. Of course, I anticipate learning a lot more about IVF while going through this process. (I have several friends who have completed IVF cycles, so I know quite a bit already. But there is ALWAYS more to learn!)

I've been very lucky to have so much support through my two ectopics and my recent chemical pregnancy. I am thankful I will have continued support during this IVF cycle. I know I will need it.

So, the plan is to call and talk to the nurse tomorrow. I assume at that time I will learn more about the timeframe (calendar) and what meds we will use (IVF requires a few more medications and injections than injectable IUI), etc. I plan on making an appointment with my psychologist to be sure I am tending to my emotional needs during this stressful time. I also plan to continue acupuncture. I want every possible advantage during this cycle!

1 comment: