Friday, August 12, 2011

Welcome to the world of blogging...

What brings me to the world of blogging?

I struggle from infertility. I'm one in eight who struggle with infertility. Specifically, I struggle from Tubal Factor Infertility. I want to share my story with those I am close with and document our progress towards becoming parents. Perhaps I can help someone along the way too...

It will take me some time to catch you up, but let me start here...

I began seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) in July 2009 after completing several rounds of Clomid with my OBGYN after trying naturally for well over a year and "not preventing" for several years prior to that. I have a history of very irregular cycles. It is likely I wasn't ovulating either.

The RE began treating me with Femara. After several cycles of Femara, we still had not achieved pregnancy. We added Ovidrel. A couple months later, we achieved pregnancy! Unfortunately, it was a suspected ectopic. It wasn't confirmed, but my HCG levels were low and didn't rise properly. After one dose of Methotrexate (MTX), my levels dropped to the negative range.

We continued trying to conceive through the spring and summer, adding IUI to the mix. In August, I went on vacation with a girlfriend so I was unable to continue treatment because I would be out of town when I needed to be monitored. Miraculously, we conceived on our own! My first beta after realizing I was pregnant was over 5,800. I went in for an ultrasound and there was nothing on the screen. Ectopic. Again. Now they were pretty convinced the first was definitely an ectopic and probably damaged the tube. Two doses of MTX, and my levels dropped to around 300. On October 1st, I still ruptured. I had to go in for emergency surgery to remove my left tube.

After suffering from the two ectopic pregnancies in 2010, we decided to move to injectible IUI cycles to up my chances. I completed two injectible IUI cycles (using Bravelle and Ovidrel) in January and February 2011 before finding out that my right tube was completely blocked. We sat out a few months before I had surgery on May 5th, 2011 to attempt to unblock my tube. The doctor found a polyp when he went in, and was able to remove it. I had a repeat HSG (hysterosalpingogram) in June, and I thought my prayers had been answered and it would be easy sailing from there on out. I completed an injectible cycle in June, which was unsuccessful. I went on day 3 of my cycle for bloodwork and an ultrasound to be sure everything was OK to start a new cycle only to find out my ovaries were filled with large cysts! So two weeks on BCP, back for another ultrasound to find that two cysts were still there. I continued on active BCP for two more weeks.

Upon getting my period after completing the BCP, I got the go ahead to start injectible cycle #4! (My insurance covers 3 rounds of injectible meds, so my doctor gave me meds (Menopur) for a 4th cycle. I also was very lucky to acquire some meds (Bravelle) from a member of the support group I attend through the clinic. So, I'm lucky to have more meds to be able to continue TTC using injectibles.) I completed 5 days of injections, and then had an ultrasound on the 6th morning.

Which brings me to today...at the ultrasound, it was discovered that I had ZERO growth on the right side, and plenty of growth on my left side (tubeless side). I had some 13's and 10's on the left, and the largest on the right was a 7. After the nurse reviewed my case with a Dr., he decided to cancel my cycle as it is unlikely that the 7 would catch up. The nurse mentioned using a Micro Flare protocol in the future to possibly get better response on the R side. I don't know how or why that would work differently, but at this point I'm willing to try anything to get pregnant. She is going to talk to my Dr. on Monday (he was out today) and call me back Monday.

So, as is par for the course with infertility, I wait and hope. I wait until the phone call Monday to find out if I can try a different protocol to get more follicles. I wait for my next period. I hope I don't have any cysts. I hope I can start a new cycle. I hope I can achieve pregnancy. And, I hope I can gather the strength to continue on this journey.





1 comment:

  1. I love you friend. You are very strong, you have been through so much. Just know that. No matter how down you feel, you have gotten yourself through this far. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete